Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Practicing other Illustrators



  
 
I apologize to myself for the absence of posts. I celebrated my girlfriend's birthday, then got sick. Blah. Anyhow, the first two illustrations are illustrations that are not originally mine. The first is a Jack Kent illustration that I copied and the second is a Kelly Light illustration that I redrew. Back in college when I was learning from Tim Hamilton and Dean Haspiel at Deep6 studios, they told me to retrace (or redraw) artists I admire. It is a good lesson that I learned that day and still use today.

It's at a point now that consistently, I can mimic other artist's drawings on the spot. Which sometimes causes me to draw like that for a period of time until I revert back to my approach to drawing (which gets confusing!). At the end of the day, I am a firm believer in Chuck Jones' teacher when he says to toss out your first 100,000 drawings. Then you'll be a good animator or artist in this case.


No comments:

Post a Comment