Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Claude Debussy

One thing I wish I learned growing up was the piano. Both my sisters did, but not me. I have a sneaking suspicion that my parents did not want to deal with any more horrible noise filling up the house.

But I love what can be done on the instrument. One composer in particular I especially love is Claude Debussy. His music was the bridge from late romanticism to modernism. Sounds technical right? It is.  What I love is the airiness in his work. How the melody sweeps and swoops and is not weighed down by chords or harmony. It feels very liberating. You should listen (p.s. don't mind the frilly flower picture, the music's better).

From those notes, I decided to draw someone playing a piano with the same energy. My first take was way overdone. It's important to know when to stop drawing as opposed to continue drawing.





No comments:

Post a Comment