Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Line up!





I'm always obsessed with how cartoonists and illustrators draw. How'd he make this line? What size are these drawings?! There's part of me that says that I shouldn't care and figure out how to use the tools, but another part of me craves to learn how to draw like that.

It's come to a point now that I've become the most nitpicky about line quality and how should my drawings look? I love splotchy ink, I love fluid brushwork, but I also love fluid lines, and scratchy lines. I've read an interview from Richard Thompson saying that he struggled with the same exact thing. LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT LINE (if it exists). He says that his line would exist between George Herriman and Ronald Searle.

Mine? That's hard. I like lively, action lines. It'd be something between Patrick McDonnell and Bill Watterson. In between there I'd like my line to be.

Above are examples of me drawing and sketching. I like the school bus particularly. Felix looks a bit incomplete maybe. The three sketches of the bumpkin sitting down are done in Hunt 101 Imperial, Hunt 512 ex-fine, and Winsor Newton Series 7 #0 brush respectively. I did all the drawings on copy paper, hence a lot of bleeding. Which is nice sometimes (more often it's not!).

The last sketch I ABSOLUTELY love EXCEPT for that back leg. It's so blobby. Had I nailed that, it would have been the drawing of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment