Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Getting the right look



There is a cartoon contest coming up this weekend. Specifically the one The Cartoonist Studio is doing. Which is exciting. As I have been preparing the cartoons, I've been tackling many many obstacles. One is the idea for the comic strip. Second is the artwork. I feel like I am at a crossroads in my artwork right now with comics.

In the Sunday comics that I've done recently, I've been forced to draw much smaller due to the constraints of the paper. In other ways though, I think that I've been looking to draw more comfortably, or smaller. In previous Buttoned Up comics, A Glass of Merlo comics that I have drawn, I usually drew it at 16.25" X 5". Which is a nice space for drawings. In hindsight, I think this caused me to overwork my drawings.

The main aim in these latest drawings is to find the correct line weight, the fluidity and spontaneity of the drawing, and to be honest, make it look good as possible. I haven't had that feeling yet of knowing that I made a good drawing in the beginning. The one with "Again?!" I think caught what I am going for best!

No comments:

Post a Comment